Thursday, March 24, 2011

Happy Obedience

When we first hear the word “rules” we tend to think of rules in a negative sense. I mean, how fun can they be? Rules take away our freedom. Rules give us parameters to live by. Rules have lots of “Dont's”. And some of those “dont's” we would rather “do” if we were honest!


What comes to mind when you think of rules or when you think of obeying rules? Speed limits. The Ten Commandments come to mind. Diet plans come to mind. Games. House rules. Instruction manuals, I guess you could say have “rules” to follow to produce a desired result. We have office policies, company policies, insurance policies. Grammar rules, punctuation rules, blah, blah, blah.  We have rules or things to obey all around us, don’t we?

God’s Word is full of verses about obedience too, so to obey, I think we can deduct, is very important to Him.

Let me ask you a question –

How do you feel inside when you know that you have obeyed?

When you haven’t went over your calorie count for the day…your conscience is clear

When you win a game “fair and square”…it’s more satisfying

When you didn’t join in on a conversation that shouldn’t be taking place at all…relief

When you make the right choice and walk away from an argument…it puts out the fire

When the boss was away,  you didn't "play"…there’s nothing to keep you up at night.

It just feels better.

Let me get a little more specific,

How do you feel inside when you know you have obeyed Him?

***Please look past the words I am about to type and listen to my heart on this. I hesitated to share what I am about to say for fear that it would sound judgmental, but the illustration itself spoke to me enough to give me this lesson, so I hope it can speak to you too. I, in no way, want to sound as if these people are bad people or as if they don't belong where I saw them.***

As I was driving home on a Wednesday evening after work, I passed a small church where people were beginning to gather for the Wednesday night activities. Although it is small, this church is very intentional about reaching out to the teens in the area surrounding it. When I drove passed the parking lot, there was a car there. It was not at all a nice car, it was very dirty and didn’t look very reliable. It had pulled through in a pattern that made it clear they were only there to drop off. The doors opened and out hopped 4 young teenagers, who are dearly loved and pursued by God. These kids didn’t look like “church kids” at all. They didn’t look like perfect little cookie cutter youth group kids, they looked like the kids who are easily overlooked. The kids that don’t fit in. The teens that probably have already been many places in their lives that are on the opposite end of the spectrum from youth group. The driver of the car didn’t look churchy either, but when I say they hopped out of the car, these kids did. Since the parking area is very close to the road, I could see their expressions and they were expressions of joy. They were happy to be there, and I thought to myself, “It probably wasn’t too many weeks ago that going to youth group was the last thing on their minds.”

Then I felt that whisper, They are happy because they know they are where they are supposed to be. That’s what I created you to do. Obey.

I kept thinking about that along the way and realized that every time I have been obedient and have done what was right, I have felt at peace. That’s how He made me. To Obey.

Him.

It brings me peace. It brings me joy.

Settles my spirit.

Proverbs 29:18 When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is joyful.

Not only does obedience to my Father give me joy, it shows that I trust Him.

Isaiah 26:8 Lord, we show our trust in you by obeying your laws; our heart’s desire is to glorify your name.

By obeying, I trust, by trusting, I glorify!

Maybe following the rules isn’t so bad, huh?


Father, thank you for rules. Thank You for creating me to obey You. My obedience of You offers me protection, and I am very interested in You protecting me. Please forgive me for the times I resist You and don’t obey You with a joyful heart. May today be different in my obedience of the things you speak to me in the everyday situations.





Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...