Friday, January 7, 2011

Who Told You??

Have you ever known something about someone that you didn’t share with them thinking if you kept it to yourself it might keep your relationship with them from being awkward? Or maybe you kept it to yourself in an effort to protect them? Then all of a sudden they say something that lets you know they are very aware of the situation and you immediately wish they had never known. Our first question is “Who told you?”.
You wish they could have continued on in their ignorant bliss instead of going through pain, embarrassment, or worse.

I wonder if that’s what God felt like when he had the following conversation with Adam and Eve in Genesis chapter 3:

8 When the cool evening breezes were blowing, the man and his wife heard the LORD God walking about in the garden. So they hid from the LORD God among the trees. 9 Then the LORD God called to the man, “Where are you?”
10 He replied, “I heard you walking in the garden, so I hid. I was afraid because I was naked.”
11 “Who told you that you were naked?” the LORD God asked.
“Who told you that you were naked?” Now - I know that God is all knowing and knows exactly how they knew they were naked - but this question sparked something within me.

God didn’t tell them.

Adam and Eve had been in fellowship with God, walking and talking with Him in the garden, but on that day something changed. Their fellowship with Him had been broken by their disobedience and it exposed their true state to themselves. It’s when I have been out of fellowship and away from Him that I feel shame and realize my spiritual nakedness. I, when not in communion with Him, and when walking outside of His will, throw off my robe of righteousness in my mind seeing the nakedness of my self, filling me with shame. Then, because of that shame, I want to hide from Him.

Guess what?

God did not tell them they were naked. It is NOT God who tells me how naked I am spiritually. The awareness of my nakedness is a result of the influence of the same one who conned Eve into biting the fruit.

7 At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness.

That awareness of our nakedness is called shame.

And shame does not come from God. Conviction does, shame does not.

God didn’t want them to be aware of their nakedness, He would have loved to let us all stay in the garden had sin not taken place. He would have loved to protect us from the pain we go through in this life, but because of sin, we do not have that opportunity.

That shame that you feel when you have been walking outside of His desires for you, does not come from Him, this is wonderful news for you, my friends. Yes, He convicts, but His conviction always leads you to Him, Romans 2:4 says it is His kindness that leads us to repentance. God’s conviction does not make you want to hide from Him in shame. That is from the enemy. God doesn’t see your nakedness, He sees You just like Isaiah 61 says you are:

10 I am overwhelmed with joy in the LORD my God!
For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation
and draped me in a robe of righteousness.

My sister, you are NOT naked before your God, you are completely dressed with the clothing of salvation and you are even draped in a robe of righteousness, and don’t you believe otherwise. Come out from behind that bush and walk hand in hand with your Lord, I promise you will have a blast.

I wonder what that robe looks like? I bet it is stunning.




Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...