Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Street Named Pain

We've all experienced it.

Words that cut deep.

Actions that you would have never dreamt.

A wound that made your heart bleed.


At some time or another, each one of us has walked the path of pain.

The wound may be very fresh...

It may have been as recent as yesterday.

It's not a fun path to travel, not an easy path. Often a very lonely path.

But walk it, we must.....

It's a road we were thrown down that often we didn't chose on our own, someone else chose it for us, but when we find ourselves on the street named Pain, we will eventually come to a crossroads and the choice we make at that intersection will set the course of our future travels.  That choice can chose a destination for our pain.

I heard a radio feature about pain featured on K-Love by Francis Anfuso several days ago.  In the short teaching he asked a couple of simple questions that spoke a very profound principle to me. You can click here to read or listen to the segment in its entirety if you like.

It went something like this -

At some point we'll have to decide:  Am I on a journey to be healed and help others or am I attached to the idea of remaining a patient?
 

Here's the question that really got in my heart and messed with me for a minute:

I may be hurt, but am I more committed to being healed or more committed to reminiscing my pain?

Sadly, I have wasted a lot of time over the years reminiscing my pain, sometimes unintentionally because I just didn't know what to do with it, and sometimes intentionally because what happened was so unfair.  I searched for someone to understand.

That never helped though.

Every time I reminisced my pain, the wound went deeper.

My heart grew more bitter.

Less tender to the voice of the Spirit.

Even if the other party "understood", it didn't give me the sense of justice my heart was longing for.

It only spread the bitterness to more hearts than mine, and that, my sisters, we can't fix.

I want to choose to heal from my pain and help others, not harm them. There was a man who once handled his pain in a most Godly way, and his example is the one I want to imitate:

"Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing."  Luke 23:34
-Jesus Christ





Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Yep-- I have tried holding on to the Pain and even sharing it-- and it did exactly that: made the pain deeper and more difficult to forgive and forget... why oh why would one want to do that... Praise God and Thank you Jesus for not giving up on me.
    my Godsword from memory: James 4:17 Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not to do it... peggy

    ReplyDelete

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...