Friday, May 6, 2011

Awestruck

This week as the floodwaters rose around my sister’s home, there was not only floodwater, but also a flood of cars stopping. People stopped and stared while taking in the sight of the water making its way into peoples’ lives uninvited.


I admit, I too stopped in places trying to process the depth, not just in water, but the depth of what was happening to our area.

I simply stood in awe.

Many of us were awestruck by the story of Princess Katherine and Prince William and the Royal Wedding last week

We were awestruck by the long-awaited discovery and death of Osama Bin Laden.

I was awestruck by the hand of God in a story I heard on the radio this morning.

We are awestruck when we drive by a horrible accident scene.

We are awestruck at television images of devastating news stories.

Sometimes we are awestruck by wonderful things, and sometimes we are awestruck by things that aren’t so wonderful. We let stories and happenings about other people captivate our minds and steal our attention as we wait for the next detail. I wouldn’t say that we actually want more devastation to come upon others, but it seems we almost anticipate with excitement the next downturn in a situation.

I have been thinking about why we do that lately, because I really don’t think we want other people to hurt more and we really don’t want their situation to get worse. Really, when we look at the situation, we don’t. Our hearts break for them.

But why? Why do we seem to love that awe even though it comes with bad news?

I think it’s because our souls were created to be awestruck.


Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him.
Psalms 33:8

Princes persecute me without cause, but my heart stands in awe of Thy words.
Psalms 119:161

Look among the nations! Observe! Be astonished! Wonder! Because I am doing something in your days you would not believe if you were told.
Habakkuk 1:5



Can we be awestruck by the right things, the right One today?

Let all the earth be silent before Him.
Habakkuk 3:20

When was the last time you were awestruck by Him?

Ponder that today.

If you can’t remember, ask Him to reveal Himself to you today and to leave you awestruck at who He is.

Father, You are truly a God who leaves me awestruck. I cannot grasp the vastness of Your being, the infiniteness of Your knowledge, the depth of Your love, or the eternal fire of Your passion for Your people. I stand amazed at the wonders of this earth and then more amazed at how it is but a small tip of the evidence Who You Are. Just a stroke of Your creativity. My heart sings to You:

I stand amazed in the presence
of Jesus the Nazarene
and wonder how He could love me
a sinner, condemned, unclean.

How marvelous
How wonderful
And my song shall ever be
How marvelous
How wonderful
Is My Savior’s love for me

Oh, Jesus, these moments in awe of You draw me deeper in love with You. Thank You for moments such as these.




Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...