Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sometimes I Must Be Reminded

The destruction brought on by our area's recent flood is now becoming evident to us as the waters recede. As I have driven the recently reopened roads near my home, it is heartbreaking to see so many homes ruined, destroyed.

Belongings strewn for miles.

Dumpsters full of what used to fill homes.


Brown water stains drawing a ring around houses, as if we needed a reminder of what was.

Water.

We must have it to live.

To survive.

Oddly, what we must have to survive can also destroy.

Do you ever see God that way?

We MUST have Him to survive. Not one breath can I breathe without His provision. Not one beat of my heart is possible without His power.

Yet, the ONE I must have to survive, can also destroy me with little effort.

This One who holds this enormous power to sustain all life or take it is also the One who holds me in the palm of His hand.

That thought stirs holy fear.

Reverent awe.

Yes, He's a loving God, He's a compassionate God, but we must not forget He's still a jealous God. He is still a God to be feared.

No wonder you are greatly feared!
Who can stand before you when your anger explodes?
From heaven you sentenced your enemies;
the earth trembled and stood silent before you.
You stand up to judge those who do evil, O God,
and to rescue the oppressed of the earth.
Human defiance only enhances your glory,
for you use it as a weapon.
Make vows to the Lord your God, and keep them.
Let everyone bring tribute to the Awesome One.
Psalms 76:7-12


Holy Father, it is You who made the waters, even the floodwaters that have affected so many lives in our area. It is You who holds our existence within Your hands. As I reflect upon my life, my choices, my pride, my sin, I am astonished that You haven't unleashed Your fury upon me. It is amazing to me how longsuffering and patient You are and have been with me. You are calling us to more. You are calling us to a fiercer devotion to You. You are calling us to a sold out life. Our compromised lifestyles and dabbling in this world with a lack of holy reverence and fear for You must sicken You. Father, we have settled for far less than Your plan by living this life of no fear. Thank You for reminding me today of who You are, how powerful You are, and that You are to be feared. You, the One who gives me life can destroy me with but a thought.  You are still God, and sometimes I must be reminded.






Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...