Thursday, September 9, 2010

Unfinished Business

One day last week, we talked about old abandoned houses. While I was thinking about that topic, today’s devotion came to mind. Have you ever come upon a place where someone began building a house, but for some reason, it was never completed?

The blocks are laid for the foundation, you can follow their outline of where the rooms might be, but it stops there and was never carried further. Maybe the house actually has a beginning of the framework but time and weather have discolored the lumber and it’s obvious the work is not new.

When I encounter something unfinished like this, I imagine what could have happened to stop the building process and my heart is sad for the person whose dream never came to fruition. Sometimes it happens because of financial strain, maybe the bank will no longer loan money. Sometimes it happens because of divorce and there is no longer a “family” to occupy what it would become. Sometimes progress stops because the builder walks off the job never to return and no one else takes over where he left off. How sad to see such a vivid example of unfinished business.

What about you? Do you have The Cornerstone as your foundation from which all other construction gets is placement and direction? If your answer to that question is no, email me at BeyondSundayMornings@gmail.com , I would be glad to tell you about my friend, The Cornerstone and how He has built and is still building the house of my life.

Secondly, assuming that you do have The Cornerstone, how is construction coming? Has it been left simply as a block foundation? Are there walls framed yet? Is the lumber weathered, worn, and becoming warped? We serve a builder who only comes on the job when He’s allowed to. Are you welcoming Him to the site daily?

My husband and I were fortunate to have our home built several years ago. My parents cared for my daughter, who was then a toddler, while I worked. As I drove her to my parents’ home each day, I detoured by our soon to be home to check the progress. There were days I observed with excitement the work the contractor had done the day before. As my mind drifts back to those days, I can still smell the fresh lumber. One day, in the dead of winter, bundled in my coat, I walked into the framed structure and saw my new whirlpool tub had been put in its place. I crawled overjoyed into that tub - coat, shoes, and all - and rested against its back, smiling inside and out, while I took in what God was blessing us with. I dreamt of the day I could take a warm bubble bath in my new tub.

There were many days that it didn’t seem that much had taken place though, and I wasn’t quite as full of joy. There were days when very necessary behind the scenes work was going on, which seemed slow an unproductive to me at the time, but proved very beneficial later. There were days where the builder hadn’t been able to work at all.

If Heaven were to detour your way each day, would there be progress for them to see? Would the observers marvel at the behind the scenes work, giggle at your new whirlpool tub, look in awe at the craftsmanship of the Builder? Or would it be a mere foundation leaving them discouraged that the Builder hadn’t been allowed on the job site?

He has all of the necessary tools. He has the Blueprint –Jesus. He provided the Cornerstone. Please let Him do His work, you will be amazed at the construction process and even more amazed when He hands you the keys to the finished product as you meet Him face to face in The Holy City one day.

May it be said of us as it was of Abraham in Hebrews 11:10:

“For he was looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God.”

Father, I beckon You to the building site today. I welcome You and am willing to get my hands dirty along with You. Teach me, show me, guide me as You put each nail into its place. Give me your wisdom as you carefully calculate measurements trimming where necessary, expanding where needed. Grant me eyes to see my life through the eyes of You, the Architect. Please forgive me for the times I try to change your plans, rearrange the walls You are carefully installing, or for the times I ignore your ideas of support braces so that I don’t collapse under the weight of all that life throws upon me. I don’t want your business in my life to be left unfinished. Construct within me a heart of surrender. I praise You, God, for the Craftsmanship I see from your hand everywhere I look. You are a good God, the One True Loving Father, my King.

Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I wrote about this post and your site here on my blog:

    http://www.bethedomino.org/2010/09/being-the-domino-beyond-sunday-morning/

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...