Monday, September 20, 2010

Satisfied

I have to share with you an illustration that tumbled from my lips during Sunday School this week. It was one of those times I thought to myself, “where did THAT come from?”. As I thought about the mind picture throughout the day, I realized He had given it to me because so many can identify, so I decided to expand it a little and pass it on to you.

Have you ever been hungry for something, sauntered into the kitchen, opened the cabinet doors or the refrigerator, looked around only to find that the thing you’re hungry for is not there? You settle for something else thinking it will curb your craving. You know, you’re looking for some Oreos, but settle for some Pringles instead. You eat the Pringles and thirty minutes later you end up back in the kitchen, rummaging around for something else because you weren’t satisfied. You find some ice cream, devour it, but it doesn’t fill you either.

I have been in this “predicament” several times, and if I tallied the calories consumed in an effort to squelch my cravings, the amount would be astounding, I’m sure! I could have saved myself lots of calories and waste if I had just gotten in the car, drove to the store, and bought whatever I was really hungry for, ending the battle of the cravings once and for all! (For that day anyway!)

Isn’t that what we do in our lives?

Our souls are hungry for something, but instead of going after what we’re really hungry for, we try whatever we stumble upon first. We try to satisfy our craving with all types of things. We try food, a new outfit, a better car, money, jobs, a nicer home. Once the new wears off, we go back to the fridge rummaging around for something else. We chew on some soap operas, reality TV, the latest gossip, read a book, the praise of others, get a new haircut, redecorate our living room, live through our kids, try a new hobby, etc. only to feel that craving burn again in just a short time. We bounce from thing to thing, activity to activity never realizing our efforts are futile.

There is a longing within us, God put it there, and none of the things of this world will satisfy our hunger until we feast on Him.

Sometimes it’s necessary to get in the car, go to the store, so to speak, and get some God!

What I mean by that is, sometimes we have to put forth some effort. We don’t like effort, we want to just open the cabinet and it fall into our laps. With effort, the reward is soooo sweet. So satisfying. He’s just the thing to tame those beastly cravings.

We can’t stop at just once though; we must feast on Him repeatedly. Don’t worry, your taste buds will never tire of Him and He is calorie free! Unlike eating something until you get sick of it, He is just the opposite. Feasting upon His goodness never gets old, it’s new every time.

He satisfies.

“For He has satisfied the thirsty soul,
And the hungry soul He has filled with what is good.”
Psalms 107:9


Father, I come to your feet asking your forgiveness for the times I tried to satisfy my cravings with the things of this world. You did not design me to be filled with those things, which is why they are so unsatisfying, so short lived, so disappointing. You are the only One who has ever quenched my thirst and satisfied my hunger. Holy Spirit I welcome your reminders and warnings to me when I start to feast on the things of this world. I pray for conviction of those places in my life. Open my eyes to see the things I go to to fill me that I don’t realize are playing that role, I pray that the taste buds of my heart would not be affected by the pull of the things that lure me that are not of You.


Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...