Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Too Many Voices

Let me set the scene for you. I had mentioned to our girls several days ago that we might go and look for some fall shoes while Daddy was at a meeting on Monday. They did not forget about it, so I told them if they got their homework done in a timely manner, which they did, we would probably go. There was no getting out of this deal. I read over their homework, quizzed them a little to be sure they understood, took care of a few necessary things at home, hopped in the car and then headed back to town to look for the shoes. At our first, and only planned stop in my book, we hit the jackpot for one child, but came up empty handed for the other. Preferring not to drag this task on for weeks, I offered to go to one more place. We darted in that place just before they closed, to no avail. So, while we were at it, we walked to the store next door hoping to score some brown fall boots.

Did I mention that the third store was Wal-Mart? Important detail, isn’t it? What person in their right mind goes into Wal-Mart on a school night, children in tow? Typically, not my practice. Steadfast to find these shoes TONIGHT, we trek back to the shoe department and struck gold!

My youngest is full of life, full of joy, full of WORDS at ALL TIMES and feels it necessary to bend my ear in a continuous fashion. As we briskly darted back to the front of the store in the direction of the checkouts, my girls were on either side of me, with my left ear being bent by the usual offender. My other daughter, who is more serious, more of a thinker, doesn’t feel the need to bless me with quite so many words; therefore, when she does talk to me, I try to listen.

Don’t forget, I’m in Wal-Mart with all of that extraneous noise, other shoppers, who apparently aren’t “on a mission” like me. They see absolutely nothing wrong with stepping out in front of me and stopping in the middle of the aisle. I’m making a bee line for the check out, still in my work uniform, while Princess Lots Of Words is bending my left ear filling the air with vocabulary, when my oldest attempts to carry on a different conversation with me in my right ear.

I almost got anxious, thinking “I cannot take both of you talking about two different things at the same time. I am already in a little bit of a tizzle about getting out of this store and getting home.” Those were my thoughts until I thought of God.

Sunday in our services we learned about God’s vastness and His attributes. As I thought about my incapacity to process so much going on at once, He reminded me that He never feels this way toward me. There could be millions of others talking to Him at the same time as I am, He can be in the middle of Wal-Mart, while dealing with division in the middle east, as he provides shelter for a family in Haiti, at the same time as He touches a surgeons hands in an operating room, but my cries to Him never stress Him out. There is so much of Him that He never feels stretched or pulled to be in more than one place at a time.

And that God chooses to listen to me.

And that God loves me.

Can you imagine, if He is that vast, how large a heart He must have to love with?

Amazing.


Listen!
The Lord’s arm is not too weak to save you,
nor is His ear too deaf to hear you call.
Isaiah 59:1


Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...