Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Growling

My stomach is growling, a sure sign that hunger is about to set in. Good thing it’s time for dinner and good thing I am blessed to have something to put in my stomach. God designed our bodies so that they will tell us when it is time to eat. He’s a pretty smart guy.

We’ve all heard the word growling in relation to our stomachs, and we have also heard the word growling in relation to someone’s attitude or demeanor. I can’t tell you how many times in my life I have heard this question after two people encounter each other while one of them was, shall we say, not so pleasant. “What was he growlin about?” or “What was she growlin about?” And yes, sadly, sometimes it has been said in description of me.

Sometimes my stomach growls, more importantly, sometimes my soul growls. As my stomach alerts my body of physical hunger, my attitude growling is an alert that my spirit is hungry. If I don’t feed my growling stomach in a reasonable amount of time, the growling progresses into hunger pangs and those are painful. Let’s be honest though, we, as Americans, don’t have a clue about true hunger pangs in a physical sense. Regrettably though, I fear that we are often at the top of the list when it comes to spiritual hunger pangs. I starve myself spiritually sometimes so severely that everything within me hurts, and because I hurt, my attitudes hurt other people. We have so much that falsely fills us, taking the place of our true nourishment, leaving our hearts in a starved state, unable to ward off impending spiritual sickness.

How sad to live in the richest country in the world, yet be starving.

By our own doing.

It doesn’t have to be that way though; we are not doomed to a life of starvation like many are physically. We have such a great gift in the freedom of worship. It’s as if God, through our forefathers, prepared us a buffet of the finest choices, yet we settle for the drive thru version. Instead of prime rib, we chose a TV dinner. Although the TV dinner will stop the pain for a little while, we aren’t satisfied. The next thing I know, I’m growling at someone I love. This should be a red flag to me that it’s long overdue for me to fill my spirit with the heart of God.

Jesus has this to say,

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Matthew 5:6

He will satisfy. He will fill us. He will stop our hunger pangs.

He also tells us in John 6:35,

I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall not hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.

All I have to do is come to the table.

God, I pray for more of You. Fill me to overflowing with your bread of life so that my spirit is not growling from hunger at the ones I love. I pray that my spirit be one with yours, honoring You, giving example of You to the ones I come into contact with every day. Bring to my remembrance, Holy Spirit, this analogy in the days to come as a reminder to make eating from your table a priority everyday. I have no excuse to live in hunger when you have a feast prepared for my consumption, completely accessible to me. I come to you today, ready to be filled.


Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...