Friday, October 15, 2010

Don't Steal My Joy

I came home to a surprise last night, and it wasn’t a pleasant surprise either. You see, I had arranged a few fall mums on my porch. I love to decorate my porch for the seasons and was particularly fond of the mums I had gotten this year. I have been careful to water them, or at least make sure one of the kids does. The blooms were so dense and full on the yellow ones and the red ones were deep and rich had yellow centers. They looked so pretty by my front door and in my wooden wheelbarrow. I have enjoyed them very much over the past two weeks since I bought them--

Which is why my surprise was anything but pleasant when I returned home from work yesterday evening!

My surprise was coming home to a porch void of mums except for one mum that the offender had crushed and broken. I’m not talking that maybe a dog drug them off, they were gone. G- O- N- E. Gone. Picked straight up from where they were. Nothing around them had been disturbed. It was like the mum rapture had taken place.

As I stood on my porch, hands perched on my hips, I sighed with my “UH” sigh as I thought why would someone take something that brings someone else joy. I can’t fathom why people do the things they do.

The thief comes only to steal, and kill, and destroy…….

There is more behind stealing my mums than a mere human being. I think you know what I am getting at – the prince of this world. Here’s the thing though, they may have my mums, but they were not able to take away the days I enjoyed them. They cannot take away the beautiful picture I have in my mind of them. They may have my mums, but they cannot have my joy. It can’t be stolen. The enemy wanted my joy, but he didn’t get it.

The thief comes only to steal, and kill, and destroy; I came that they might have life, and mighty have it abundantly.
John 10:10

My first fleshly response was “I hope they die!” (the mums, not the people!) I didn’t want someone to be able to enjoy my beautiful flowers if they were going to steal them, so I thought it best if they just wilted up and died! But – as the thought has settled on me and I allowed the truth of scripture to be put to it, I realize that someone compelled to do such must not know real joy and maybe God will use those bright vivid beautiful blooms to shine the light of His joy inside a dark heart. He can use anything to touch someone.

Meanwhile, you might be able to steal my mums, but you can’t steal my joy. The enemy wants to steal from me, but Jesus wants to give me life, give me true joy, and that he does!

This is what Jesus told his disciples when they were upset he was explaining to them the joy of seeing Him again someday:

..but I will see you again; then you will rejoice, and no one can rob you of that joy.
John 16:22

My friends, that is why I say, you can steal my mums, but you can’t steal my joy. My joy comes from Jesus (not my mums or anything else!) and from the experiences in which I see Him everyday, and no one can rob me of that. I know I will see Him again today, and there will be more joy to add to what I already have and that is something wonderful to experience. The same can be true for you.

Father, I lift up my friends to You asking You to give them an extra measure of joy today. Joy that comes from recognizing You in the world around them. Increase their faith today by experiencing You in their comings and goings. There is nothing I want more for them than to know You as the God of the here and now and not the God of the far away. Be real to them, Father, in a way they have never experienced and may their eyes be open to your fingerprints around them. And – for the one who has my flowers, shower them with the moisture of your love, give their eyes appreciation for the beauty of the blooms as a signature of your creation, bless them and draw them to your throne.


Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...