Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Get Me Outta This Pressure Cooker!

Well, girls, the stomach bug has decided to make a visit to my house, and is a very unwelcome visitor. I am ready for this little visitor to pack his bags and move on! With that said, my post today will probably be short, besides being visited by this uninvited visitor myself, now one of my girls is laying on me and, you guessed it – her stomach hurts too.

So lets get to the subject for today – I’ll bet you’ll be surprised when I tell you it’s about Pharaoh….


Yesterday we talked about the stench that filled the land from the piles of dead frogs. Remember why the frogs died, though? They died after Pharaoh called for Moses and begged him to ask God to remove the frogs. He was desperate to get rid of these frogs; they were making him and his people miserable. Can you imagine him in his royalty sitting down for dinner, his servant lifting the dome covering his plate only to have a frog leap out onto the table? I chuckle inside at that thought, but that’s how bad these frogs were, they were everywhere. Pharaoh was so distressed that he even bargained with Moses, promising to let the people go if Moses would ask God to take the frogs away.

Moses agreed and God answered his request and the frogs died, but, as we all know, Pharaoh didn’t live up to his end of the deal.

Exodus 8:15

But when Pharaoh saw that relief had come, he became stubborn.

When relief from the problem came, he forgot his promise. How many times have I approached God in distress about a situation or a problem I’ve gotten myself into and prayed for Him to remove it? It has been many, many times. But when I look back at most of those times, why have I really approached God about it? Has it been to truly grow closer to Him through it? OR – Has it been for relief from the situation?

Pressure cooker prayers I call them. Just get me out of this pressure cooker and I’ll……..…(you fill in the blanks). Once relief comes, I go back to life as usual as if the prayer had never been spoken. That is merely seeking God for what I can get from Him instead of seeking Him to get more of Him.

Holy Spirit, remind me to search the motives of my prayers and show me how to make my heart desire to get more of God instead of only seeking the relief He can provide me. Father, I am sorry that my heart can be so stubborn, as Pharaoh’s and I turn my back on you as soon as relief comes. I truly want to be a child You are proud to call Your own.

Here’s my verse from memory:
Restore to me the joy of Thy salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit. Psalms 51:12




Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. It's hard not to focus on our circumstances!! Our God is so amazing! He knew we would need a Helper to walk thru this life with us & to help us become who He wants us to be. He's always doing surgery on us. Help me not to resist!!! Praying for you & your sick ones. Love you!! Carla

    "Restore to me the joy of my salvation & sustain me with a willing spirit." Psa 51:12

    ReplyDelete

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...