Wednesday, July 21, 2010

No Memory Foam for Me

I keep telling my husband we need a new mattress. Each morning when I get up it feels like I have been in fight and I sometimes think it would have been better to not have gone to bed in the first place. You know what I’m talking about, when you raise from the bed and feel twice as old as your birth certificate says you are. He agrees with me (sometimes) that we really should look into getting a new one, but agree is all I can get him to do thus far. Recently I saw a commercial from one of our local furniture stores advertising a sale on the supposedly wonderful Memory Foam Mattress set. Of course they were describing all of the miraculous benefits of this brilliant mattress and I thought to myself “How divine it would be to sleep that well!” They sell this thing on the idea that it was developed by NASA and that by distributing pressure during sleep it reduces back and joint pain. The commercial claims that you sleep better and wake more refreshed in the morning.

Then there’s our mattress. Although I’m grateful to have a mattress to sleep on, as many are less fortunate, it is feeling a little lumpy, bumpy, and pokey these days. Refreshed is not a word I would use to describe my state upon rising in the morning. If my husband moves in the slightest way, the whole bed shakes, which drives me crazy when I am just about to nod off for the night. Talk about making Sleeping Beauty mad – just ask him. Finally, I get to dreamland only to be awakened by an ache somewhere which happens several times throughout the night. After flopping over, switching sides, and attempting a new comfortable sleeping spot, I attempt the zzzz’s again. Oh how nice it would be to have one of those hi-tech mattresses to cradle me to sleep! As it sings me its lullaby, I could dream of just how refreshed I could be when I wake up - bright smile on my face, hair already styled, make up perfectly applied – just like the commercials!

But as far as my life with Christ goes – I don’t want to be sleeping. I don’t want to be so comfortable that I stay lulled into a spiritually subconscious state as I face temptations and exposure to those things that displease God everyday. I want to ache and feel pain in those places where He applies pressure. If I feel the pain, eventually – I’ll adjust. I don’t want to be asleep to the warnings and alarms His Spirit whispers to me. I want to be alert and aware of everything around me.

“And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because your salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.” Romans 13:11-12

I want to feel the pressure points, even if they hurt so that I can put aside the deeds of darkness that are still present in my life. If I am too comfortable in my sleep, I myself being described the same as those spoken of in Isaiah 56:10 –

“His watchmen are blind, all of them know nothing. All of them are dumb dogs unable to bark, dreamers lying down who love to slumber.”

I’ll take the lumpy mattress, I don’t want to sleep too deeply, they can keep the Memory Foam.

Thank you, God, for the pressure points in my life even though they hurt sometimes. I know that without the pain on those points, I could not grow closer to you. Father I pray that I would not make excuses – slumbering and shifting the blame for those pressure points, but own up to the areas in my life that don’t line up with your image of me. If I don’t own up and accept the painful spots for what they are, I will never face the problem allowing you to heal it and eventually remove that spot from my life. I thank you that you are not only a healer of the physical, but a healer of the heart as well. I know there is enough in my heart to keep you busy everyday. Please never run out of your loving mercy for us.



Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...