Friday, December 17, 2010

Finished. Done. Finito!

“I’m done!”

Words we don’t perceive as joyous coming from someone else in regards to her Christmas shopping when we still have much to do. Those words usually prompt me to look at that person with disgust and disdain and jealousy. Just being honest!

Well – you can look at me that way this year! Because I – am - done. Finished. Done. Finito! Yes, me. Never in my life have I been able to say that, especially as of last week when I finished my shopping, but this year, I can.

Don’t hate me - it probably will never happen again.

The sad thing is, I don’t have that sense of relief that I thought I would. Isn’t that strange? I don’t know how many years I have said, “I’m going to get my shopping done early so I can sit back and enjoy the season,” only to fall short of that goal. Oddly though, even though I am finished early, I haven’t been able to “sit back and enjoy the season”. That’s because enjoying the season doesn’t happen sitting back, as we think, it happens within my heart, whether the shopping is finished or not. My perspective is what affects my enjoyment of the season.

Even though I am “finished”, there are always ideas going through my mind about something I could add to a gift or someone else I “should pick up a little something for”. So, really, I guess it’s never really finished until I run out of time and Christmas day arrives.

“It is finished”, exciting words to hear about your Christmas shopping, but there is oh so much more meaning to hear them from the mouth of our Savior.

John 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” and He bowed His head, and gave up His spirit.

Notice the exclamation point. That’s not mine, it’s His.

Finished.

Really Finished.

Done.

Finito.

Accomplished.

Completed.

And there is nothing more you or I can do to make what He did for us more complete.

Not striving.

Not rushing.

Not planning.

Nothing.

Nothing can make what He did for you and for me more complete, the perfect Lamb can not be made more perfect. Without sin or blemish, He was completely whole, that’s why what He did on that cross can be completely finished.

And the affects have lasted more than 2000 years without being added to.

What a marvelous thought.

My Precious Jesus, the exclamation point in that verse tells me that You must have cried out those words with such passion and emotion and with all of the strength left within Your beaten body. It tells me that you endured much to reach that “finish line”. I know how loudly I want to shout to the world when I complete a difficult task, so I cannot imagine the feelings or sense of accomplishment that must have forced those words from your lips and heart when I think of all that you really did “finish”. How exhausted your spirit must have been, I know that my sin alone was more than enough to exhaust You, Jesus. You had a job to do and I am so thankful that You saw it through to completion.



Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. It IS a marvelous thought! I had to read this a few times over. especially that last part

    "And there is nothing more you or I can do to make what He did for us more complete.

    Not striving.

    Not rushing.

    Not planning.

    Nothing.

    MARVELOUS!

    ReplyDelete

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...