Thursday, August 26, 2010

But Not

Before we get into today's post, I wanted to pass something along to you.  Unforgiveness is a very common issue in our lives whether pertaining to a small hurt or a much larger one.  Today's Focus on the Family Broadcast addressed the subject of an unforgiving heart and I really think it is worth listening to if you have anything that you are having trouble letting go of in your life.  It can be heard at http://www.family.org/. Now - on to today's topic.

It seems everywhere I look over the past few days, people around me are so very troubled, very distressed, downcast, even hopeless. I know how painful it is to feel this way, and have spent many days sharing those same emotions. I even said today that it seems like it would just be easier on all of us if Jesus would return because many are so weary. Although I long to see His shape in the Eastern Sky and His beckoning me to His side, I know that if He were to return today, there are many who would not go with me. We must remain for those who need more time.

Today I want to encourage you all with a truth from our Sword, God’s Word.

We have this treasure in jars of clay
To show that this all-surpassing power is from God,
And not from us.
We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed.
We are perplexed, but not driven to despair.
We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God.
We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed.

2 Corinthians 4:7-8

Situations may seem very big, mountainous in size, so painful that there seems to be no relief in sight, heavy enough that your legs are weak beneath the weight of what you carry; you may feel like you are down for the count, even all alone. BUT - can I ask you to take notice of all of those “buts” and what follows them in this scripture?

pressed by troubles BUT NOT crushed
perplexed BUT NOT driven to despair
hunted down BUT NEVER abandoned by God
knocked down BUT NOT destroyed

I have relied on this verse often when I have felt overwhelmed, spread too thin, heartbroken, or without hope. It is always encouraging to me to know that although what I face is difficult, I can trust God when He says that the troubles pressing in on me will not crush me.

If you have a lump of clay in your hands, which is what we are according to His word, and you apply pressure to the clay from all sides, what happens to that lump of clay? It doesn’t disintegrate, it isn’t destroyed, and it gets longer, taller. I realized that when I’m taller, then I don’t have to reach as far for His hand.

Sovereign Lord, my heart is heavy for my friends, your children who are struggling beneath the weight of what life has heaped upon them. For many it seems there is no way out and that they will collapse under it all. With tears running down my cheeks and my heart breaking for each of them, I reach as high as I can lifting their names as close to You as I can get them. Holy Spirit, may they sense You drawing them near. I know each of them longs for simpler times, for things to be as they were when they were a child, so, Father, let them be a little girl or little boy for a moment so that they can bury their heads into your chest as You wrap the arms that created them snuggly around their fragile frames. Whisper your love into their hearts; deposit more of your comfort, boundless measures of your strength in their bones, so that when they crawl down from your lap, they can see things differently. I know You love them more than I and entrust their care to your capable hands. I thank You that your ear is always bent to the cries of your children.


Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

1 comment:

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...