Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Can You Walk Away?

Have you been thinking about the things in life that so easily become idols and been surprised? I have. It's easy to assume that an idol is something like a gold statue that you bow down in front of and pray to; but let me assure you, the enemy is much more sly than that. He doesn't always use the obvious to distract us. He knows that we wouldn't fall for some goofy statue, he knows he has to be more creative than that if he wants to move our eyes from God and onto something else.


Guess what?

The enemy doesn't even care that our eyes aren't on him, he is satisfied as long as our eyes are off of God. We are no threat to him in that condition.

In the study Made to Crave, Lysa TerKeurst made a simple statement with far reaching meaning. Of course she was speaking of food, but there is huge application possible for every aspect of our lives. Here's a paraphrase of what she said:

If we find that certain things are impossible to walk away from -- we can't or won't deny ourselves an unhealthy choice in order to make a healthier choice -- then that's a clue we are being ruled those things on some level.
What is it that you find hard to walk away from when presented with the idea?

God wants you to be honest with Him about these things.  It brings Him glory according to Joshua 7:19
...My son, give glory to the Lord, the God of Israel, by telling the truth.  Make your confession and tell me what you have done.  Don't hide it from me.
Bring Him Glory, tell Him what is hard for you to walk away from.  He already knows anyway.

Dear Jesus, what is it that I can't walk away from?  What things are there that I bow to without noticing? I know, God, that my affections directed in any direction other than You is sin, please forgive me for this part of me and teach me to keep my eyes gazed upon you.  Whisper into my heart what You want me to learn today.



Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. II Tim 2:13 If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.

    To walk away from what I know to the unknown to step beyond my comfort zone, my security that is difficult for me. But God is always asking all of us to do that - blind obedience & trust. It never gets easy. Carla

    ReplyDelete

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...