Monday, May 17, 2010

Enough?

Do you ever have one of those days where one little thing happens and it opens up things within you that you didn’t realize were that big of a deal? I had one of those days yesterday. Looking back, it all started with a hot dog. I know – stupidest thing you ever heard, I agree, but I’m just being honest here. I was not really in the mood for a hot dog, it had been a busy weekend and I had in my mind how nice it would be to go somewhere for lunch and just relax over our meal and enjoy it. I don’t consider eating at the café in Sam’s Club a relaxing lunch, but since my husband and family wanted to eat pizza there, I decided I would have a hot dog and make the best of it, after all, at least I’m able to eat out, I could be in Haiti or somewhere worse. Typically I like hot dogs and if I can eat them with relish and mustard, I’m usually a happy camper.

Here’s a little background information for you, I’m sure you will be able to relate. After picking out my clothes for church, I looked down at my watch to check the time and my watch battery was dead. No big deal I thought, I can always put my phone on the counter to keep an eye on the time. Less than ten minutes later, I reached up to take off my glasses, which are relatively new, and the whole arm pops off and flies across the bathroom. I thought, “no big deal, I bet it will snap right back on.” Wishful thinking, no such luck! Determined not to allow this to ruin my Sunday morning, I thought to myself, “at least I have my old ones,” so I dug them out and put them on and continued getting us all ready for church.

Adding these irritations to some other things that have been going on in my mind and life made for the perfect recipe for a meltdown just in time for the hot dog. I’ll spare you all of the long details about this fine cuisine and sum it up by saying this – I had to cut it up, bun and all, with a knife and fork in order to eat it, there was no picking it up in the normal fashion. The irritation I allowed myself to feel over the hot dog spilled over into the rest of my day and my household. Isn’t it ridiculous how the silliest things can send us right over the edge? I had driven up to the edge of a cliff and didn’t even realize it until I was plummeting over the side because of a hot dog, of all things.

Driving home from church last night, still in semi-meltdown mode, my mind was swarming with thoughts. I was so irritated by just plain old “life”. Circumstances, relationships, hurts, pressures, irritations were all playing out in my mind and I was thankful that, in the midst of things that were and are out of my control, at least I still had Jesus. Then I sensed God asking me a question.

“If all of the things of this life were stripped away -- your family, your husband, your church, your job, your friends -- life as you know it, would I be enough for you?”

I have to admit I was caught off guard and I had to think about that for a few seconds. If that were to happen, would He be enough to pull me through to the other side? As I pondered this, the Holy Spirit used the CD that was playing to remind me of the stone rolling away from the tomb and my Jesus walking out of the grave for me and in my spirit, I could say

“Yes.”

I realize it’s easy for me to say that now because I still have life “as I know it” and I don’t know what tomorrow might bring. One never really knows how they will react until something happens, but I do know that He is my everything and has been my everything every time I have needed Him. I trust Him to never leave me or forsake me according to Hebrews 13:5.

My question is the same for you today. If it were all stripped away- people, positions, things - would He still be enough for you?


Amy Dotson, RPDOTK (Royal Princess Daughter Of The King)
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...