Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Distractions

After a long, blah day, I was excited to get home, finish dinner and retreat to my room to read something in my Bible that I had started the day before. I like to sneak to my room to read because I can concentrate. No TV blaring, no dog bugging me to play, no racket from the washer and dryer, no playing referee. I had it all planned out in my mind. Todd went outside to work on the mower, the dishes were cleaned up, the girls were doing their thing, or so I thought.


Enter distraction #1
I eagerly headed to my room to curl up on my bed with my Bible and what to my wondering eyes should appear? But 2 girls camped out on my bed, TV on, remote in hand. I couldn’t help but sigh. Acting like a child myself, I said “but I was coming in here to study and y’all are watching TV in here!” They thought nothing of my need for quiet and just scooted over to let me plop up on the bed too. I decided to press on.

Enter distraction #2
Old Testament stories are sometimes hard to read even in the deadest silence, but imagine trying to read words like Jabesh, Ammonite, Nahash, Bezek, Jabesh-gilead, Ashtaroth, Jerubbaal (I could go on, but you get the point!) and trying to make sense of it all as your children keep pausing the TV to replay something they think will interest you like “Tow Mater” retelling a story of all the near misses his cartoon life. I tried to show interest, while trying to keep the dots connected between all the “ites” and “ashes” and whatever else I was reading. I humored them for a few moments until it was permissible to bury my head in the pages again. I was determined to block it all out.

Enter distraction #3
It is now 8:15 PM on a school night, and my oldest daughter, McKayla, decides it is paramount that she polishes her nails RIGHT NOW. Trying to look on the bright side, I tell myself “at least she asked permission this time.” I tried to explain that it was too close to bed time and that if it didn’t have enough time to dry completely, her nails would be ruined. So much for that idea, (thank you Teresa Travis :)!) She quickly explained to me that Mrs. Teresa taught her to run her fingers under cold water and it would harden her nail polish quicker. Desperately wanting to end the conversation so I could return to all of the “ites” and “ashes”, I agreed that she could paint her nails.

Time for distraction #4
I no more than bent my head down to read again, and my dear sweet husband, who I thought was still out in the garage, flips the vacuum cleaner on in no place other than at the foot of my bed. Yes, I know what you’re thinking – I would love for my husband to vacuum! Let me clarify, I do appreciate him, I couldn’t make it without his help. He just needs some work on his timing, and this was not a good time.

The distractions keep coming – the vacuum stops, the phone rings, the nail polish stinks, the TV is loud. Are you there with me yet?

Isn’t that what life is like? I try to remain centered on my King and there is constantly an interruption, a racket, distractions at every turn. Believe it or not, despite all of these distractions, I did meet with God before it was all said and done, but it wasn’t easy. I felt as if I was living the verse:

“And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13

I had to search for Him with all that was within me, but I found Him and we had a great time together. You can find him too, just don’t give up too quickly, it will be worth the effort.

Amy Dotson, RPDOTK (Royal Princess Daughter Of The King)
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. God has used the last two of your posts to speak directly into some thoughts and feelings that I have been dealing with. Distractions are a big topic in my life right now, and searching God out in the middle of them is my focus and goal. It's not always easy, but it is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...