Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Coming Apart At The Seams

Have you ever owned anything that came apart at the seams? Once it has, if you don’t sew, it’s pretty useless once the seam is gone. I mean how would you like to pack around a purse or a backpack where the seam has ripped apart? I can see it now. If your purse is like mine, if the seams came apart, we would leave a trail behind us for quite a while. I know SOME of you (Brittany) would never allow your purse to be in the condition that mine is usually in, so this may be hard for you to imagine, but please humor me and try! It would be a total mess and the situation would probably make me so mad that I would throw the entire purse away. I would render it useless, never entertaining the thought to sew it back up.


What about you? Have YOU ever been coming apart at the seams?

Listen to Colossians 1:17

“And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.”

This says God holds everything together. The original word for the phrase “hold together” is sunistao. When I first saw that word I automatically thought of the word sustain, which is very similar to what the meaning is. This phrase, “hold together”, means “to join parts together into a whole, to constitute, restore”. All things are joined together by Him. Nothing is truly restored without Him.

When I “come apart at the seams”, and all of the “stuff” inside of me comes spilling out, leaving only the shell of me to work with, I think He gets excited about what He can do. He never gets frustrated and never tosses me away, considering me unusable. He is restores. He renews. He recycles. He sees me and you as very valuable, even if we have a whole torn in us. He puts us back together stitch by stitch until we are good as new. If we were glass, shattered into many pieces, He would be the glue to bind our pieces back together.

Do we ever toss people, relationships, or marriages away as useless when they are torn or broken? I think we all know the answer. Sadly, that answer is yes. We never consider allowing them to be repaired. I truly believe what this verse says; ALL things are held together through Him. Without Him all of our relationships are at risk of ripping apart at the seams. He is the very thread that keeps things together, but we come along with a seam ripper – in the form of mistakes, sin, and bad choices and rip apart what He has put together. If we are ever to be restored, that restoration must come from the Master Tailor. If the seam is ever going to hold up and sustain the activity of wear and tear from daily life, it must be sewn with His thread.

I bet He doesn’t have a bit of trouble threading a needle!

Amy Dotson, RPDOTK (Royal Princess Daughter Of The King)
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...