Thursday, September 8, 2011

Hush!

"The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm warning." 

If we ever hear those words come across our weather radio or our television, my kids become quite the inquistors..

"Where's it at?"

"Is it coming toward us?"

"What's the difference in a watch and a warning?" 

If you have kids that despise storms, I'm sure you get my drift.  This past spring there was a day when we had a severe thunderstorm warning, which escalated into a tornado warning and they were petrified.

I mean petrified. 

And I understand, I never liked storms either, especially when I was a child.

We took the necessary safety measures and got into the bathroom with our radio and flashlight, but they were incorrigible.  No matter how Todd and I tried to reassure them, they could not hear what we were telling them for their fearful, frantic crying.  They would ask a question and then begin crying out of their fear that they couldn't comprehend my response.  They would cry about the dog, they would cry about the where-abouts of every extended family member, they would cry about the swing in the back yard, they would cry about what to do next.

At first I would try to answer them in a calm voice in an effort to bring them back from the Land of Fear, but my soothing answers were not penetrating their fears. They were so focussed on the questions and the situation that they would not listen.  Finally I had to yell at them to get their attention, "Hush!" I had to remind them that we were fine and they were worrying about things that had not even happened.

Sometimes we walk through storms and each second seems to be dominated by our fears. The fears are the only voices that we can hear and we don't know what to do next.  We are scared of what may happen. 

Don't forget, the Father is there in that bathroom with you while you're all hunkered down.  He is there in the eye of the storm.   He is there after the storm.  He will protect you.  We have to silence our fears long enough to hear His voice.

"Hush, be still." Mark 4:39

“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me........... And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”  Matthew 28:18-20

"Hush, be still." Mark 4:39






Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...