Saturday, March 10, 2012

Not A Good Medicine Taker

I'm not a good medicine taker.  Really, I'm not.  Don't get me wrong, if I have a headache, I'll be sure to find Tylenol or an ibuprofen, but outside of that - nope - not a good medicine taker.  I have to be knocking on death's door with a cold before I will take any of that liquid stuff.  Just thinking about it right now is giving me the I-dont-want-tos.

And that pink stuff - you all know what I'm talking about - that pink stuff for your tummy?  I would just soon die as swallow that girly looking liquid chalk....Eww - I can't really spell the sounds I am making as I describe this to you, just use your imagination, I'm sure it will be close.

I really have to psych myself up to swallow medicine.   I read the label a hundred times hoping I can find a smaller amount that I am actually required to swallow, then I resign myself to the fact that I am not going to find a different answer no matter how many times I read the label. 

I pour it into the little dose cup, being sure not to get even ONE DROP more than I have to, afterall I don't want to swallow ONE drop much less an extra. 

I fix me a glass of water - a big glass.

With water in one hand and medicine cup in the other, the battle begins.

My eyes go from the water to the drug.
Drug to the water.
I can do this.
I hate this.
I can do this.
I hate this.
It only lasts a second.
A second is a very long time.

Eventually I take the plunge, swallow the syrup, and guzzle the water. 

And then the that-was-so-gross-rigor surfaces and it's over.  Usually followed by my groaning something like "that was so gross".   I know - such an original phrase, but are you in my kitchen with me?

I don't like medicine.  It tastes bad.  It gives me the that-was-so-gross-rigors.

But it helps me. It heals me - from the inside out.

And if I am sick enough, I will face that giant and swallow it for help.

You know, truth is like medicine, sometimes it doesn't taste good, but it does a work from the inside out.

I'm the same way about hearing truth sometimes.  I know I need it, but I don't want it because it doesn't taste very good.

We don't want to hear it.  But we need to.

....Thy truth will continually preserve me.
Psalms 40:11


To be honest, sometimes truth doesn't settle well at first. If I let my flesh have control, truth can down right make me mad, but if I give it time to let the Spirit work, I begin to see a change in perspective. 

I'm sure the disciples felt the same way when Jesus said:

But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper shall not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.
John 16:17


I'm sure the disciples didn't want to hear the truth that Jesus was telling them, but He told them anyway.  They didn't want Him to leave, and if we could have gotten a glimpse into the conversation that day, I think we would have found that what they were hearing was not settling well with them.  Their friend and master leaving them was not something they wanted to face.

We don't want to face truth either sometimes, but face it we must if we want to grow and heal from the inside out.  Truth preserves us, and by leaving, Jesus was sending the Spirit.  If you read further in John 16, He tells them that the Spirit would convict them and expose them to truth. 

Jesus was leaving and the Spirit of Truth came so He could heal us all from the inside out.  He's still healing us today. 

No, sometimes it doesn't taste good, but I know that it is for my best.

What truth is He revealing to you today?  Are you a good medicine taker?


 


Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...