Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Can I Just Vent?

Hello everybody! Happy Warrior Princess Wednesday! First things first -

Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many. Hebrews 12:15

I'll admit, I'm a little rusty on this one as far as saying it word for word; however, the concept of it has been ever present over these past two weeks.  I'm convinced it is no coincidence that things occur in our lives just as we are trying to apply a spiritual principle that seem like pop quizzes.  I have had SEVERAL pop quizzes over the past two weeks and have had to apply this verse as the answer.  Not only has it served as the answer, it has also served as a shield for my heart preventing bitter roots from having a place to grow.  I may have trouble quoting it exactly, but I am totally getting it when it comes to the application!

Can I just vent to you for a minute?

Your ears perked up at that question, didn't they?   It's a question we have all both asked and heard.  Sometimes there are things going on in our lives that are hard to deal with and it feels like we have just got to let something out or we are going to explode.

Kind of like Mount St Helens.....You know, the volcano.  Funny the word volcano should come to mind, because check out this definition of the word vent I found:

Vent as a noun defined:  An opening through which gases, especially air, can pass; The opening of a volcano from which lava flows; A verbalized frustration; The excretory opening of lower orders of vertebrates; A slit in the seam of a garment; To allow gases to escape; To allow to escape through a vent; To express

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vent

What happens when lava flows from a volcano?  The hot, molten lava coats everything it touches and eventually cools to a hard shell.  It's heat taking the life from what it has touched and its shell paralyzing any new breath of life.  The landscape is forever changed when a volcano erupts.

Do you ever feel like Mount St. Helens?  I know I sure do.  Nobody likes for a volcano to erupt because of the damage, destruction, and devastation it causes, but we are not quite so worried about the eruption of our own volcanoes, which also leave behind their own damage.

We may think it completely innocent to vent to those around us, a third party to lend an understanding ear, but our venting will leave lava that does not go away. 

Next time I am tempted to vent, I want to remember Proverbs 29:11

Fools vent their anger, but the wise quietly hold it back.

Vented anger does do damage.  Our words do hold power within them, and once they are spoken, there is no pulling them back in.  When I vent my lava, I am forever altering the other persons thought process toward a situation.  They may never see the other person the same.  They may never be able to extend the party that has offended me the grace needed for forgiveness.  I have to decide if I want to be foolish or wise when I find myself in a situation where I can feel an eruption starting to build.  I can vent if I want, but I would be a fool.

When we are known as one who has regular "eruptions", others don't take seriously what we say.  They see us as always flying off the handle.  But, on the other hand, when we are wise and remain quiet in how we handle things, our viewpoints are taken much more seriously by those around us and we don't leave ash and debris behind after our lava has destructed everyone in its path.

If I must vent -- then I should vent to God.  He is completely capable of listening.  He does not change, and my venting won't change His outlook either.
God Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth,
You are worthy to be praised with my words, my heart, my life, and even the way I chose to handle diffcult situations can be praise to You.  Father, I do want my life to be a living sacrifice to You this day.  Please pour out Your wisdom, Your power, and Your strength on me so that I might find myself able sacrifice my own fleshly desires and surrender them to Your plans and purposes.  May my life be one of worship in every aspect today.


Royal Princess Daughter Of The King
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Hebrews 12:15 Look after each other so that none of you fail to receive the Grace of God.Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you corrupting many...AMEN AND PRAISEGOD... LET ME NOT FORGET DEAR LORD.
    ok I shouldn't have any trouble with this weeks Godsword. I have heard a lot of venting and I know it stays in the molecules of air that we breathe and in our head- I have been guilty of doing it--even though I have been on the receiving end. so Amy thank you for Godsword-- so timely for me. pt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's mine:

    See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; and that no root of bitterness springs up among you and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled. Hebrews 12:15 (ESV)

    Your post reminds me of some terrific advice I read at some point early in my marriage:

    Don't ever complain about your spouse to your parents; you and your spouse will (hopefully) work through the steps to resolve the issue. You parents, however, will probably not have that luxury and may hold a grudge against your spouse, forever changing them in their eyes.

    ReplyDelete

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...