Saturday, December 1, 2012

December to Remember Day 1

Picture

As December is brand new this year, the Christmas story itself may not feel quite so new to many of us. But, no matter how many years we have known the Christmas story, God has a way of making something we have read over and over grab us in a way that causes roots to grow down just a little deeper. It causes our heart to be drawn a bit closer to His. I don't know about you, but I love those moments and treasure them in a way that is impossible for me to adequately describe. Those opportunities seem like I'm truly getting one on one time with the Almighty. Remember those times as a child when you got Mom or Dad, Grandma or Grandpa all to yourself? It made us feel so special. That's what it's like. Just me and Him. He's all mine. He has his pen and writes permanently upon my heart in those encounters.

I hope the days to come bring you moments like that. I pray your heart stirs with joy and excitement and even flutters at the thought of Him. I certainly have enjoyed studying these few verses, and I hope you do as well.

Let me preface where we are going today and in the days ahead with this - I am not a theologian. I'm just a Jesus girl who desires deeply to learn more about Him and His Word and I just CAN'T STAND to keep the good stuff to myself!

Let's start our journey in the book of Luke, the gospel with the most detailed account of the birth of Jesus.


Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city in Galilee called Nazareth. Luke 1:26
Where was the angel, Gabriel, sent? He was sent to a city in Galilee called Nazareth.

Are you ready for your first Christmas gift? The name Nazareth is so neat! Let's unwrap it.

Do you know what the name Nazareth means?

I just love this, it makes my heart all goofy inside.......

Nazareth comes from a Hebrew word meaning a twig or branch, a shoot.

Jesus of Nazareth.

Jesus, described in the Old Testament......
Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch....Jeremiah 23:5
For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot....Isaiah 53:2
Where did Jesus, our Righteous Branch, our Tender Shoot come from?

He came from Nazareth.

He was exactly what Nazareth means.

Nazareth the home of the Righteous Branch.

Our God is a God of details. I don't think it's a coincidence that He placed Jesus, our Savior, the Righteous Branch, the Tender Shoot, in a town whose name meant the same.


Father, I love how You tuck such wonderful surprises in what may seem ordinary. You certainly are no ordinary God, You are extraordinary. Simple places in your Word are often pregnant with meaning and that draws me to want to learn so much more. Thank You for this early Christmas gift that You allowed me to unwrap in your story of old.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How? It's Easy!
1) Type your comment in the white box.
2) Click on Select Profile. This tells us who you are. If you do not have and account with any of the choices in the list, select Anonymous. You can always type your name inside the white box instead.
3) Click on Publish and you're done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...